Uh-oh, it looks like Terrifier 3 is going independent as Hollywood Studios pull out due to its gory visuals and extreme violence… who said horror was dead?
The Terrifier franchise which has quickly become widely known, mostly due to its reputation for being gory and violent as aforementioned, is set to release its third instalment next year.
Terrifier 2 was an instant box office success last year, taking in over $15 million at the box office off a relatively low budget of $250,000, making the director Damien Leone the hot topic at the time. Remember to follow us on X/Twitter @CoveredGeekly for faster and real-time updates on all things pop culture.
Terrifier 3 Opening Scene Loses Funding
Despite the franchise’s ongoing success and popularity online, Hollywood Studios have refused to fund Terrifier 3 due to its opening scene which is reported to be extremely violent.
While talking to JoBlo, director Leone confirmed that despite the studios pulling out, he’s decided that he’s making Terrifier 3 independently as studios can’t handle its gory violence.
“I got to meet with studios,” Leone said, “like legit Hollywood studios, who wanted to make Terrifier 3”.
He continued: “But before I even had a script, just based on the success of part 2, and just having meetings and getting the feel that I was going to have eyes over my shoulders, and they were concerned about the levels of gore and this and that”.
He added: “I knew, and not having seen my script or have any idea what I had in mind, I knew they weren’t going to let me make this movie based on the first five pages. Like that’s how insane Terrifier 3 is.”
The director goes on to explain that the third film’s opening scene is so violent, that no movie studio would ever let him film it.
“So mark my words, I guarantee you the first 5 minutes of this movie is going to be very controversial. But that’s not even the big kill scene. So like that’s why I was like, I need to just make this movie on my own, because it’s just too… it’s too insane.”
Is Art The Clown Horror’s Next Icon?
The franchise’s main sinister character, Art the Clown, is the face of the soon-to-be trilogy – a face that has been seen by millions around the world, regardless of who’s watched the actual movie.
One reason why the last two instalments caused such a buzz could be the fact that the gory scenes are all done through the use of practical effects, making them look as realistic as possible.
Terrifier 2, for example, reportedly caused moviegoers to literally vomit in theatres due to a mutilation scene that was just too much for some to handle.
The third movie seems to be aiming to be as grotesque as its predecessors, with one difference, this time the franchise is aiming to focus on Christmas.
Yep, Terrifier 3 is technically going to be a Christmas movie, as revealed by a leaked in-theatre teaser trailer that shows Art the Clown posing as a fake Santa Claus.
A leaked poster was also revealed earlier this year.
Not to mention that the franchise’s director Leone has mentioned in the past that the third instalment aims to be even more extreme than the last, so prepare yourself if you intend to watch it.
Terrifier 3 releases on October 25, 2024.